- Booker raised many of these points earlier this month during an interview with MSNBC, where he highlighted systemic social issues including racial disparities in marijuana enforcement that need to be addressed as people across the country protest police killings of black Americans.
- Reps. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) and Barbara Lee (D-CA) led the Dear Colleague letter, which was shared with Marijuana Moment and asks members to consider another crucial issue towards criminal justice reform: eliminating the failed prohibition on cannabis.
- We have all seen the pernicious effects of selective enforcement of cannabis prohibition across the country, and it is not just in red states or rural Republican America, the letter states.
- This carefully crafted legislation will legalize cannabis, provide restorative justice to communities of color torn apart by the failed War on Drugs, stop the nonsense of not being able to research it, remove the barriers to people getting medicine, and eliminate the impacts of cannabis prohibition on educational funding and access to public housing, the letter continues.
- In this same spirit, we ask you to consider another crucial issue towards criminal justice reform: eliminating the failed prohibition on cannabis.
Read full article: marijuanamoment.net