Current PrEvents: Cannabis use and pregnancy
Posted On April 2, 2020
- According to a resource guide produced by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), estimates show that between 3% and 7% of pregnant people in the United States report using cannabis.
- While some simply choose not to quit using cannabis in the same fashion that some cigarette smokers don’t quit smoking despite becoming pregnant, others are intentionally using cannabis to treat side-effects of pregnancy.
- According to one study, 96% of cannabis users who continued using cannabis into a pregnancy reported that they did so to treat nausea.
- Alarmingly, pregnant people living in states where recreational cannabis is legal might have received dangerous misinformation regarding the impacts of cannabis use from individuals working at dispensaries.
- In his presentation, he explained that when researchers contacted cannabis dispensaries in Colorado asking for advice regarding cannabis use during pregnancy, nearly 70% of the dispensaries that were contacted recommended using cannabis products to treat nausea in the first trimester.
Read full article: timesargus.com