How cannabis interacts with medications
Posted On March 3, 2020
- That is, other drugs or substances may antagonize or enhance the target effect of the drug, hindering its
- Another way in which drug interactions interfere with drug activity is by pharmacokinetic interactions, that is, by changing the way the drug is absorbed, distributed to body tissues, metabolized, and excreted.
- This mode accounts for the majority of drug interactions, chiefly by a change in the expression of various enzymes that metabolize the given drug like the CYP450 family of enzymes.
- When cannabis is used along with drugs that inhibit cholinergic receptors, it may worsen the tachycardia and confusion that occur with these drugs.
- Individuals who use cannabis as a recreational or medicinal drug should be aware of the possibility of these five types of drug interactions, at least.
Read full article: news-medical.net