Milpitas City Council to again weigh cannabis sales tax ballot measure
Posted On May 5, 2020
- Milpitas City Council to again weigh cannabis sales tax ballot measure
- Despite voting in late 2018 to ban marijuana businesses in the city, the Milpitas City Council will discuss Tuesday whether it should put a marijuana business sales tax measure on the November election ballot.
- In order for a tax to be levied on cannabis establishments, the city will need to also allow the use of cannabis establishments, either through council action or through voter approval, a city staff report said.
- If it is determined that voters should decide whether to allow cannabis establishments in the city and how to tax them, two separate measures will need to be placed on the ballot, the report said.
- The council also will discuss on Tuesday the prospect of placing a general sales tax ballot measure of a quarter-cent on the November ballot.
Read full article: mercurynews.com