New employment laws may affect cannabis companies – Marijuana Venture
Posted On April 13, 2020
- A number of new laws have recently gone into effect that could have a dramatic impact on businesses and their relationships with employees, including those in the cannabis industry, so
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) went into effect January 1, 2020.
- A ban on use it or lose it vacation pay policies: In December 2019, the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment adopted regulations that prohibit employers from having use it or lose it vacation policies .
- Under this regulation, employees’ earned vacation hours are a form of wages that must be paid to the employee at the end of employment, and that employers may not adopt policies or practices that forfeit earned vacation hours.
- Employers can avoid legal liability by demonstrating that the difference in compensation rates between two employees is due to non-discriminatory reasons including seniority, a merit-based compensation system, a performance-based pay system, or the education, training and experience of the two employees.
Read full article: marijuanaventure.com