- San Francisco’s health department confirmed Wednesday that the city was administering alcohol, tobacco, medical cannabis and other substances in an effort to prevent a handful of people quarantined or isolating in city-leased hotels from going outside to get the substances themselves.
- The hotel residents are also receiving medications such as methadone delivered by methadone clinics to tamp down heroin cravings.
- It’s all part of a widely used harm reduction approach to helping addicts stay inside and curb the spread of the novel coronavirus while coping with the loss or reduction of their core drugs.
- Eleven of those under isolation and quarantine have received alcohol from the health department and around 27 have received tobacco, Lane said.
- So health department workers are calculating how much alcohol a hotel guest needs to stave off the effects of mild withdrawal.
Read full article: sfchronicle.com