- When combined with cannabis plant material, the hydrocarbon dissolves desirable compounds present in the plants.
- Propane may provide benefits by stripping additional desirable compounds, such as terpenes, from the plant.
- Here are the general steps for hydrocarbon extraction: Cold, liquified butane (or hydrocarbon blend) is used to wash the plant matter, dissolving cannabinoids (such as THC and CBD) and terpenes (which provide aroma and flavor), often along with lipids and waxes.
- There is a range of extract types that can be produced using hydrocarbon extraction because the levels of butane and propane can be tweaked to create the desired profile.
- These and other components can be extracted using hydrocarbon extraction, producing products known as trim runs.
Read full article: leafly.com